I absolutely love, love, love these books! All of them... they are so stinking good and cute!
My First
The first time that I read one was on the campus bookstore, waiting for Kenny to be done with class (his class got out thirty minutes earlier than mine, so twice a week when I was waiting, I would go to the bookstore and read the children's books.... maybe that sounds like a weird thing to do, but I love books, children's especially... I have been a book nerd my whole life). Anyways, it was before we were even pregnant, I have been obsessed with these books. When we would go to a store, I would always look for them and read them much to Kenny's chagrin. He would always say "how many times can you read that book?" The answer... Not enough! They are absolutely adorable. I love how stinking cute Nancy is about being fancy. And one of my most favorite things about them is the words the author uses. She will use relatively big words for a children's book and then follow it with... "that is fancy for...." and give the definition. What a way cool idea!
Fancy Nancy & Harper's Fate
Anyways, another cool story about Fancy Nancy books... they helped me pick out Harper's name. And everyone always asks... how did you come up with that name. Well here is the story...
When I was pregnant, I was looking in the bookstore through a book called "Literary Baby Names: name your child after a great." And I came across the name Harper (Harper Lee wrote the book To Kill a Mockingbird, which is an absolutely amazing novel... one of my all time faves... if you have not read it, I advise you to do so now). I thought it was way, way cute. Plus, I secretly love the idea of naming children literary names... for example, other names I love, Madeleine, Eloise, Hemingway (kind of just kidding about this one... but kind of not... my mom gave me a book and the little boys name is Hemingway.... I think it is adorable, but I don't think I would ever really do it... which probably makes Kenny happy).
Anyways, so I had the name Harper in my head... then as I was walking out of the bookstore I saw them... FANCY NANCY BOOKS 50% OFF!!! OH MY GOSH.... I had to have one, my first Fancy Nancy book... I was stoked! So I bought Fancy Nancy Explorer Extraordinaire (so cute). I was walking home reading it, when I saw it... the name of the publishing company... HARPER collins books. That sealed the deal! It was totally fate! I was then at that point absolutely, positively in LOVE with the name HARPER! It took a little while longer to convince Kenny, even after I explained the whole fate, destiny situation. But he eventually came around and loved it too and in March... we named our daughter Harper! :)
But, I guess what you should take from this is.... READ FANCY NANCY!!! You will not be disappointed.
P.S. I currently have three Fancy Nancy books! All of which I love and read to my daughter on a regular basis (at least one, once a day... Harper and I read a lot, I am excited to be instilling book nerdiness into my daughter). And I have planned out which Fancy Nancy books I will be acquiring next in order... I can't wait to get them all, but for Harper of course! ;)




2 comments:
I just love Fancy Nancy. My first book was the Explorer also. I just love all the detailed drawing and the definitions at the back. My preschoolers love listening to me read them. Enjoy the read
I feel like I need to go find one of these books now and give it a read.
Post a Comment