2.04.2011

I HAVE HAD IT!

I am buying a big bubble and Miss Harper is going to spend the rest of her days in it.

On Wednesday we had to check Miss Harper into the hospital. It was sad and hard and horrible and miserable and wretched and I never want to do it again... hence, the bubble!

But she had been sick since Sunday, spent 3 hours at the doctors office Monday, got diagnosed with pneumonia, got really worse Tuesday, went back to the doctors on Wednesday morning, was told to go straight to the Plano Presbyterian ER. When we got there we they did all the vitals then went and got her a room. She was running a 104 temp and was not breathing well. She was so dehydrated that they had quite a hard time getting a line in her. First 3 ER nurses tried, then they called down the Pediatric nurses... it took FOREVER and was absolutely MISERABLE! She was poked, prodded, thumped, squeezed, mashed, pricked and pricked and pricked again. After 4 pricks and blown veins they pinned her down and put her IV in her head! I was FREAKED!! She screamed the whole time. It was horrible to witness and I am sure even worse for her.

After she had some fluid and a breathing treatment, they transferred her to a different hospital because if something went wrong they would not have been able to handle it (that is what the respiratory therapist told me). So Harper and I rode in the ambulance to Children's Medical at Legacy. When we got there we were informed that she did not have pneumonia but bronchitis/rsv. They kept her hooked up with an IV the whole time to get her rehydrated and monitored feedings and well the opposites of feeding.

So we had a fun (to use the term loosely) little night watching tv, holding our sicky poo, trying to keep cords untangled and away from Harper's hands, eating hospital food, and getting visits- Stephen came Wednesday night and Mom, Cole, and Riley came that next morning. Thankfully, we only stayed Wednesday night and got to leave the next afternoon.

Harper is doing better. She still has quite a nasty little cough and wheezes a bit but she is definitely perking up.

But it was such a nice hospital and the nurses that we had were SO SO SO wonderful. And I just have to say that it made me so incredibly grateful to have a healthy child. It is hard to have a sick kid. It is the worst thing to have to watch and my kid was not even that sick.

Harper and I at Presbyterian. This is right after they got her IV in... as you can tell by the way she looks it was quite traumatic. And she is now seriously afraid of blue gloves (she would be okay with the nurses, but the minute she saw blue gloves it was all screams). But after having your face smashed down by one for so long, you would too.


This is at Children's. They put a diaper on her head so she would not pull on her cords. It made her insanely sweaty so we ditched it quick.

Watching Caillou with Daddy




Playing with toy stethoscope the gave her. She LOVES it and knows just what to do!


Napping with Kitty

8 comments:

Dafni said...

Oh my goodness Brittany my stomach hurts from reading that. Your poor baby :( I can't even imagine how you handled that! I'm so sorry!! I'm glad she's feeling better! I hope that she never gets sick like that again!!

Katie said...

Brittany, Brian told me Harps had it bad, but I had no idea! Those pictures of her looked so traumatic, yet so cute simultaneously. I'm so sorry! But your mom said you were so good with the whole situation. You're a better woman than I , haha.

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh! I almost just started crying. I can't even imagine what you went through and you are so strong! I'm so sorry!! I'm glad Kenny was able to be there though! And you mom and family. Give Miss Harper a big hug and kiss from all of us (especially AIden ;)

Cat and Blake Potter said...

oh my gosh bless her little heart!! You guys are incredible parents. You're right it's so hard to watch all that and not be able to do much. I am glad she's started to feel better, hang in there!

the mcnultys said...

Bee, I am so sorry! That sounds like a horrible ordeal. I am glad that little cutie is doing better though. Hang in there!! Miss you.

lizzy-loo said...

britty, so glad that everything is getting back to normal. it is really hard when your kid gets sick or hurt. hang in there. i am sure you are a great mom, just like yours. love you

The Kingsley Family said...

Brittany, I am so sorry! Olivia just went through being sick with bronchitis stuff for 3 weeks. I was thinking I had it bad and she didn't even have to go to the hospital. I can't imagine how hard that would be. I hope Harper is feeling better.

Annette said...

Brittany! I'm so glad you found my blog and I found yours but I'm so sorry about your baby!!!! poor thing what a trooper! I hope she gets better! Love you and miss you!